Gromada Hotel *** Centrum Radom
  1. Home
  2. Hotels
  3. Radom Hotel ***
  4. Attractions

Attractions in the area

WE ARE GETTTING TO KNOW THE MEDIEVAL RADOM - one-day trip Radom is one of the oldest Polish cities, which existed before the ninth century. The early medieval gord ‘Piotrówka’ was preserved with a 6 meters high earth embankment. The Old Town, within the former defensive walls, has preserved its medieval, fourteenth-century street layout in an unchanged form. We can visit the Parish church of St. John with a Renaissance chapel or the 15th century church and Bernardine monastery in a baroque style. In the modern city center, shaped in the early nineteenth century, there is a number of classicistic public buildings. There is also the Museum with a valuable collection of Polish paintings, including works of Jacek Malczewski. The tour route runs through: ‘Piotrówka’ gord from the 9th/10th century, recognized as the cradle of today's Radom, a remnant of the Radom castellany; at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries a burial cemetery for old and new Radom. The name comes from the first Roman Catholic church dedicated to Saint Peter (9th/10th century). Currently a monument - an erratic boulder with the image of Mieszko I and the first emblem of the Polish State, referring to the beginnings of the formation of the state. The Old Town with the first bricked 13th century Roman Catholic church dedicated to St. Wacław - the oldest architectural monument of Radom, built from the foundation of Leszek the White, and salaried, as tradition passes, by Prince Bolesław V the Chaste, a silent witness of granting the ‘middle’ city law around 1300. This church was the parish church of ‘Old Radom’, and from 1802 a warehouse, a prison, and even a department of a psychiatric hospital. After numerous reconstructions, the church was restored in 1980-1985 under the direction of prof. Wiktor Zin and restored to the eternal function. There is also a mysterious stone tombstone with a sword relief and paintings, stained glass windows, wall paintings, interesting chandeliers and candelabra with the image of the Polish emblem, referring to the history of Poland. The New Casimir Town- was founded on the ‘raw root’ during the reign of King Casimir the Great around 1340; located around 1350, and from 1364 on Magdeburg rights. It had three gates: Lubelska, Piotrkowska and Krakowska. What preserved from this period are: fragments of defensive walls (dismantled in 1816-1818); the outline of the Krakowska gate, now to be seen at the back of Jacek Malczewski Museum from Wałowa steet; the Royal Castle from the middle the 14th century; the parish church of St. John the Baptist from the 14th century, rebuilt byJózef Pius Dziekoński, built around 1360-1370, founded by King Casimir the Great in the Gothic style, single-nave, extended in the 15th and 16th centuries by adding five chapels - to this day prserved: the Rosary Chapel, the Kochanowski chapel in the late Renaissance style, the late Gothic portal from the presbytery to the sacristy, the iron door with oblique lattice with rosettes, the Polish Eagle, the Odrowąż coat of arms and the monogram of Christ, the baptismal font from the middle of the 15th century, the painting 'Crucifixion', and on the church square, the sculpture of St. John of Nepomuk. The Parish building - the remains of a gothic Royal Castle from the 14th century at the corner of Wałowa and Grodzka streets, currently the presbytery of the parish of St. John the Baptist, described in the 16th century as a 'big house with cloisters', destroyed during the Swedish Deluge, lost its splendor and in the 19th century was leased to the parish of p. St. John the Baptist. In the years 1481-1482 prince St. Casimir, stayed in the castle and held the authority of the governing son of King Casimir Jagiellończyk, in 1602 he was canonized and now he is the patron of Radom and the diocese of Radom. In 1505, the Seym adopted the Nihil Novi Constitution here .The Market Square of New Casimir Town has preserved a clear urban layout, characteristic of the cities founded in Europe under the Magdeburg Law. In the market there are neoclassical tenement houses - Gąski House (baroque) and Esterka House (neobarok) - currently the seat of the Museum of Contemporary Art. Next to them there is a neo-Renaissance Town Hall from the 19th century, built according to the design of the architect Henryk Marcconi, with a clock tower winning the tune 'Alleluja' by the 15th century composer Nicholas of Radom, currently State Archives. In the central point of the market, one can see the statue of the Act of Legions of Józef Piłsudski, rebuilt in 1998. On the opposite side of the square, there is Museum of Jacek Malczewski, formerly the Piarist College, erected in 1737-1756 according to the design of Antonio Solari with the former church of St. John Kante, with medieval dungeons and shoemaker's workshop. Currently, the museum has interesting exhibitions. There are commemorative plaques on the building, one of which is devoted to Tytus Chałubiński, a student of the College.Medieval Lublin Route - Stefan Żeromski street, the church of St. Catherine and the monastery (the most valuable monument of the late Middle Ages) is located to the east of the Market Square, built between 1468-1507 with the foundation of King Casimir Jagiellończyk in the late Gothic style; formerly Radom fortress of patriotism. In the church you can see the cross and ribbed vaults typical of the Gothic style in the presbytery and starry in the nave, the 15th century carved group of passion - crucifix, Mother of Sorrows, John the Baptist and stalls from the 16th century, the coffin portraits, the epitaph tables from the 16th century, the sarcophagus with the ashes of Dionysius Czachowski - the head of the army of the Sandomierz Province in the January Uprising. Hiring a guide for the group - 300 PLN for the whole day We also recommend: • Radom Village Museum / • Mazovian Center of Contemporary Art 'Elektrownia' / • Multikino / • Helios Cinema / • Powszechny Theater by Jan Kochanowski in Radom / • Kościuszko Park • Old Garden in Radom • Sports and recreation complex on the Borki Reservoir with a beach, bathing jetty and walkway, playground, complex of sports fields, cycle paths / • Borky tennis complex / • Aquapark 'Neptun' MOSiR / • Aquapark Radom / • Rope Park 'GEKON' at the Borki Reservoir • Trampoline Park Sky Jump / • Climbing Center 'Grota' / • Play Centre Hula Park / • LEGO robotics academy, children's learning centre / • Center of Polish Sculpture in Orońsko • The Witold Gombrowicz Museum in Wsola / • Museum of Folk Instruments in Szydłowiec / • Jan Kochanowski Museum in Czarnolas / • Nature Reserve Royal Spring • Horse Riding - Student Riding Club in Lesiowo / • Horse Riding - Hubertus Skaryszew / For all enthusiasts of active lifestyle, we recommend hiking or bicycle trips / designated for this route, which will certainly help in getting to know the tourist attractions of the city and the nearby area.
This website uses COOKIES.

By browsing it you accept our cookies policy, according to your browser settings. Read more about cookies policy.

OK, close